Extruder stops pulling in filament

DavidArcher

Extruder stops pulling in filament

Post by DavidArcher » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:26 pm

Hey,

I've got my 3D Printer for a while now. Everything seems to work fine except for the extruder. When starting I try to pugh some filament in because when heatiing up the filament drips down from the nozzle. When it starts to print at first it seems fine but after a while the extruder loses contact to the print and no filament is coming out of it. I can push a considerable amaount of filament into it until there is resistance.

I found out that at some point the extrusion motor starts to do a step forward and then a step back.
I tried to adjust the voltage on the driver, increasing the temperature of the extruder to 230C, swapped the driver of the extruder with another one even switched out the extrusion gear. Everything with no success.

I'm really at a loss right now.
P_20180713_140701_vHDR_On.jpg
P_20180713_140701_vHDR_On.jpg (83.39 KiB) Viewed 8782 times
P_20180713_140654_vHDR_On.jpg
P_20180713_140654_vHDR_On.jpg (77.98 KiB) Viewed 8782 times
P_20180713_140707_vHDR_On.jpg
P_20180713_140707_vHDR_On.jpg (70.32 KiB) Viewed 8782 times

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Re: Extruder stops pulling in filament

Post by _kaktus_ » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:20 pm

Hi
:mrgreen:

This is a clear error of the filament feeder. ;)

If the filament is moved backwards instead of forwards when the printer is in operation, this is a clear error.
One of the causes may be electrical non-contacts in the socket of the stepstick module.
Such behavior may indicate an error in DIR line control of this module.
As I mentioned above, the reason is the lack of a certain contact and not controlling the DIR input in the stepstick module.

Diagnostics:
If you can, check the logical level of the DIR input during operation.

Solution:
Press the stepstick module into place to make sure it fits better into your socket.
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

DavidArcher

Post by DavidArcher » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:31 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply :D

Forgot to mention this, I actually tried to measure the voltage between the adjustment screw and the ground pin on the driver but there's no result the multimeter showed a current of 0.

What do you mean by checking the logical level of the DIR input. Do I have to measure the current between the pin labeled with DIR and the ground pin? Which results should show up there?

And following your line of thought maybe there is something wrong with the mainboard as I swapped the driver with another one that works just fine and the print still ended in the same result.

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:18 pm

DavidArcher wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:31 pm
Hey, thanks for the reply :D
What do you mean by checking the logical level of the DIR input. Do I have to measure the current between the pin labeled with DIR and the ground pin? Which results should show up there?
Exactly.

But you need to know that there are fast digital waveforms and it can be difficult to analyze with voltage meter.
DIR corresponds to the direction, the high state on the pin is the direction e.g. left, and the low state is the corresponding direction to right. Of course, I am talking about it for example and I don't know what the correct values are because I didn't analyze them.

Remember that this can only be one of many reasons.

I myself had such a case.
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.