Extruder stop pushing

miguelballay

Extruder stop pushing

Post by miguelballay » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:00 am

Hello! I have a problem with the extrusion of my geeetech i3. It works well, and at some point the extruder motor stops pushing, as if it were skating. And the only way I walk again is to turn off and on again. I tried again, lower the extrusion temperature, the speed is 50 mm / s, the layer height is 0.2 mm, changed the PTFE spout, cleaned the nozzle, checked the continuity of the PAP motor cable, and Keep doing the same or worse. What can be?

William
Site Admin

Re: Extruder stop pushing

Post by William » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:27 am

Hi,you can check if your extruder motor can run normally, the spring tension of the feeder, whether the nozzle temperature is heated to 200 can push the consumables normally, determine whether the nozzle is clogged, and the clogging needs to be cleaned.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

GAQ

Re: Extruder stop pushing

Post by GAQ » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:41 am

Hi Miguelballay,

If / When I have a problem with the extruder I try the following...

Lift the head well clear of the bed so that it's in free space.
Get the extruder up to temperature - (Feed problems generally arise when the temperature is too low, not too high)
Release the feed cog by pushing on the release lever and then simply take a grip of the filament above the extruder and manually push it down.
Does the filament melt and come out of the nozzle correctly ? - If so, there's no problem with the nozzle.

Next, try to use the extruder to feed out material - again, do this with the nozzle raised so you can see what's going on.
Does the filament come out of the nozzle correctly ? - What does it sound like ? - Is there any clicking sound going on ?
This can happen when the extruder is trying to feed faster than the nozzle can melt the filament and the extruder cog starts to slip.
I've found I more often have debris within the extruder itself causing problems rather than blockages within the nozzle.

Let's assume it's all gone fine so far...

Is the extruder calibrated correctly ? - Simple to check - The method for this found elsewhere on the forum.

Sometimes the feed can be halted if the head is too close to the printer bed. You say you're printing at 0.2mm
Have you checked the bed is correctly levelled - I would check this next, since if you're too close to the surface under the nozzle, the surface effectively blocks the nozzle and very little melted material comes out.

Next, try printing at a slower speed. You don't say what nozzle diameter you're using. I changed mine to 0.4mm from the 0.3mm supplied with the printer - it made a massive difference. (Nozzles are very cheap on ebay)
Yet - I still have to print far slower than many claim their printer can achieve...
I print exclusively in PETG and I can sometimes struggle going over 40mm/s printing this material with the Pro B printer...
Again - faster printing can attempt to feed too much material into the nozzle and it doesn't get melted quickly enough... The 'Clicking' sound can be heard...

Try the above and let us know what you find - if there's still a problem we can investigate further.

Gerry