Extruder not feeding filament - Too much compression from extruder spring

swannynz

Extruder not feeding filament - Too much compression from extruder spring

Post by swannynz » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:12 pm

I'm sharing my experience here since it's different to what I read from most other users/faqs etc.

Since I built my printer I have had a lot of trouble printing. After increading the temp to 220 sometimes PLA worked enough for a complete print and others it wouldn't get past the first layer or two. There was a clicking sound coming from the extruder, which I could also hear when extruding in free space. By touching the filament I could tell that it wasn't actually feeding. The teeth marks on the removed filament suggested it was not slipping. No problem to extrude by hand.

Most people seem to have problems with not enough force on the drive cog but after taking it apart and discussing with colleagues we agreed that it was really difficult to turn the stepper by hand. Since steppers aren't known for being high torque motors we determined that the stepper was just not able to turn, even without filament in it was hard.

I removed the spring and hacked in a spare spring from the heated bed. I had to make a short tube using a cut off bit of pen, since it didn't was a smaller diameter so didn't fit over the plastic bit. I've attached a picture and will take some more and attach those too. Are there different strength springs available?
20190611_220748.jpg
20190611_220748.jpg (231.8 KiB) Viewed 7950 times
Last edited by swannynz on Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

William
Site Admin

Re: Extruder not feeding filament - Too much compression from extruder spring

Post by William » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:55 pm

Hi, Do you have a swap motor line to see if the motor is working properly?
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

swannynz

Post by swannynz » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:51 pm

I didn't try driving it from another servo output because after changing the spring to this other one it now prints without making the clicking sound. It was so difficult to turn the stepper motor by hand when it was all removed from the hotend without filament. After adding filament obviously the load on the servo only increases.

What I believe that I need is another spring that is softer than the one which was installed on the assembled extruder mechanism. I will attach some images of what I have.

Admin

Post by Admin » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:10 am

Hi, The spring on the extruder is made of Qin steel.

BobMartlet

Post by BobMartlet » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:07 pm

Hi. Just to let you know I had the same problem.
The springs were way too strong and no adjustment would allow the motor to rotate. A spring from a box of assorted springs from the hardware store and a printed washer fixed it. (I have several printers).
I suspect these things change over time so some might have problems with no grip while others experience our problem.