'Sticky' Geeetech 3dTouch ?

GAQ

'Sticky' Geeetech 3dTouch ?

Post by GAQ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:34 pm

So I finally got around to building my Geeetech Pro B printer the Mrs bought me for Christmas...
I used T8 lead screws and fitted a Geeetech 3dtouch straight from the start.
jonsag very kindly posted a version of firmware for a Pro B with these items fitted - and heh presto it works !
Or should that be 'Worked' ? !

The 'Auto Home' used to work, but then stopped... after about 5 operations...

I started to look for the cause and saw there was a 'Probing error'

So I went through the menu and used the command "Control / Re-set BLTouch"
and then noted that if I entered the command "Control / Stow BLTouch" then the pin would come up and the led would glow.
If I entered the command "Control / Deploy BLTouch" Then sometimes the pin would drop - other times it would just stay where it was and the led would start to flash.
I note now that I've never managed to get 4 consecutive stow/deploy commands to work... The pin will just stick in the 'up' position.
I can pull the pin down, re-set and try again... When attempting to 'deploy' It may drop, or it may not !

I know that the Geeetech 3DTouch only cost approx £12.50 and a genuine BLTouch with a 1 metre cable will be £42.50 ...
Though I reckon it should have worked for longer than it's first morning before starting to seize up ? !

It seems to have difficulty dropping the pin every time...

Anyone else found this ?
- If I change to a genuine BLTouch, will things get better? - Or am I just not seeing there's a different underlying problem?
I've seen somewhere that William mentioned there's a different 'delay in ms' between these two probes - is that the cause ?

Thoughts ?

Gerry

GAQ

Re: 'Sticky' Geeetech 3dTouch ?

Post by GAQ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:19 pm

OK,

Solved.

So this afternoon I've been playing with the 3DTouch once again...
Glutton for punishment !
It was driving me insane with it's intermittent working/failing.
Certainly, "Self-Test" would fail, it could NOT deploy the probe more than three times in a row.

I scoured the net, as you do, for inspiration.
I saw that others had been frustrated as me, some had posted on youtube and I recognised the symptoms instantly, I felt their pain...

I ordered a genuine BLTouch - Cost me £42.99 with a 1m extension cable (I'm replacing the lot here I thought)

And then !
A Damascene moment !

Someone had posted a comment regarding a screw coming loose on the 3DTouch.

There is indeed a recessed allen head screw located between the fixing holes.
The Geeetech supplied file printed bracket had a hole that allowed access to this screw.
Nothing to lose - new version already ordered...
I tightened this allen head screw...

Bingo ! - It can sit there in self test mode, deploying and stowing the probe to its heart's content.

Straight back into Repetier Host and it performed an auto-home first time from the software.

Now, will it keep working ???

So, anyone getting frustrated by an intermittent Geeetech 3dTouch - Try to tweak up the recessed screw between the fixing holes...

Gerry

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:35 pm

:o
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

GAQ

Post by GAQ » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:50 pm

And to finish off...

BEWARE !

If your '3D Touch' is playing up and should you play with the recessed screw between the fixing holes...
Please note that you will probably change the height of the pin...
Your Z Probe Off-set will be different. You could crash something into your print bed.

That said, I've received the "Genuine Antclabs BL Touch" and fitted it.
I had to use some washers to get the correct height using the printed bracket, but easy enough.
Re-calculated the off-sets and changed the 'configuration h' file accordingly.

IMHO - This 'Original' BL Touch is chalk and cheese from the cheaper alternative.
Yes, it has a plastic pin... But the way this thing works seems far superior.
It positively clicks up and down, it works like a precision piece of kit.

I KNOW it's damn expensive at £42.00 (UK Price) - But I think I would recommend it as worth the money.
If you want a probe for your bed levelling, this is the one to go for. It works...

Gerry

jzero42

Post by jzero42 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:22 pm

I have found the original Geeetech 3D Touch to be really good.
No issues for me during the past few months other than an accidentally slightly bent pin (was my fault), but it's so slight so I didn't try to unbend it. I bought a spare 3D touch and still cheaper than Antclabs.

I have done repeatability tests with the geetech one, and it's really good.

But you might be right: maybe the Antclabs is better slightly, but is it 4 times better, as the price?

GAQ

Post by GAQ » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:01 am

Hi jzero42,
If you received a good, reliable 3D Touch, then you've saved some cash, (Quite a lot really !)
I'm sure there are many users out there who have received the same.
Pity I wasn't one of them... (I take little solace in the fact that I'm not the only one)
The only reason for the purchase of a genuine BL Touch was piece of mind.
It's too expensive, it's not worth 4 x the money, but it worked first time and hasn't failed. (Yet !)
When you build your first 3d printer and you've never before played with arduino / marlin / GT2560 A+ board etc etc...
Then when things go wrong, you're searching for answers as your first thought is "What have 'I' done now"
It took a few incorrect guesses before noticing that 'My' 3D Touch was rarely working correctly.
The BL Touch certainly snaps up and down in a far more assertive manner !
Is confidence worth 4 x the price ? -
I can't say so to be honest, especially as I've built just about the cheapest printer available !
It's now working (Hooray !)
I have printed and fitted the filament spool holder above the unit, complete with bearings and filament guides...
I'm looking to fit a component cooling fan now - more research underway !
Thanks for your comments - I'm jealous of your 3D Touch results !
Gerry