Extruder feed wheel jumping backward

ricky007

Extruder feed wheel jumping backward

Post by ricky007 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:30 pm

Hi all
I also have the problem where there are layers missing in the print
After much blue air and trials and testing I can summarise

I have calibrated the extruder and is extending at 102 % (programmed 100mm of movement/actual movement of 102mm)

It isn't spring pressure as when you inspect the filament teeth marks are present whereas if the pressure wasn't enough I'd expect to see gouging of the filament where the drive wheel continues to rotate against the filament

Removing the fan and heatsink and fixing the drive assembly in place with shorter screws I see that the drive wheel is jumping back. This is random, I can be 4mm off of the bed or 30mm off of the bed, it can be a few jumps or 2 layers.

I changed the control board with the X one.
No joy.

I increased the voltage to 1.1 volts and this appeared to work even when increasing the feed rates to 400%
I printed an object,(3.5 hours worth), no apparent missing layers.
WHOOPEE!
Printed a 25mm cube, again with no apparent layers missing.
All this time I was running without the fan and started another model.
Dang blast it the jumping was present, worse than ever. The extruder motor was rather warm though, not hot just warmer than normal, so I've replaced the heatsink and fan and I'm letting it cool down as well as myself before I try again.
I figure to leave it until tomorrow so that I can spend at least a little of the Christmas break with my family!

Well New Years Day and still the same problems as from last year.

I even tried changing the motor connection cables over, undoing all my nice cable tidying!

To say I'm a bit frustrated would only appear to be repeating the mantra others have used so I won't, Oh I have!

it's been a Christmas where I've learnt a lot, and one where my neighbours have learnt new words to describe frustration.
(When you see them telling their children to come indoors then you know it's time for a cup of tea)

Anybody have the answer to this would be loved forever. (That is providing they tell me the answer)

Rick

ricky007

Re: Extruder feed wheel jumping backward

Post by ricky007 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:04 pm

Further news the problem has got worse and worse
I've even tried increasing the nozzle temp to 230, even printing in thin air so that I don't even print an object the extruder still jumps.
Took the voltage to 1.17 volts.

I think the motor and/or the controller/board doesn't function correctly

As this printer is now 8 days since assembly I think I'll have to return it.

I really wanted this to work

Now even though I don't believe it's the problem I'm going to try increasing the spring pressure.

Whonose

Post by Whonose » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:36 pm

Are you using the blue filament that came with the printer?

I have just built mine ( finished yesterday) and I thought I had a *serious problem* as I could not get the "free" blue filament to load at all It just wouldn't "bite"... I had ordered & just received some white filament ( from Geeetech) and when I tried loading that lo and behold! it worked!!

I have tried a few times to get that blue stuff to work and it just wont for me! I will do a proper "write up" of the build later today. but I have just printed my first "Benchy the boat" and it came out pretty good for a first try ( in WHITE of course!)

good luck, but try different filament before sending it back!

jzero42

Post by jzero42 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:19 pm

Have you set the nozzle correctly? (Factory nozzle size is 0.3 mm instead of the "usual" 0.4 mm.)

Search for "extruder clicking sound" on the net for answers, but,

* You did right to increase the motor current (controller voltage), but you might've overly increased it. The extruder motor shouldn't get that warm.
* Check if your nozzle is clogged maybe? It can happen and then the extruder is trying hard to push the material but cannot. Maybe buy a few replacement nozzles (MK8 nozzles, 0.3 or 0.4 mm), and try changing it. Be careful when changing it, check some videos on how to do it properly (heat it up, make sure the throat and nozzle are properly locked without a gap).

BTW: I don't think you really need to return it, even the motor controller boards are replacable, I changed my extruder one to a DRV8825 module.

But it's true that for this printer (I3 Pro B) you will need to invest some learning and small changes.

ricky007

Post by ricky007 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:06 am

I bought some red Geeetech 1.75 filament and am using that
Nozzle set at 0.3mm
Tried changing boards

I haven't changed the spring pressure as i said i would as i really don't believe that to be the problem

I've ordered another stepper motor as they're not expensive but i may well try your suggestion of new nozzles and boards as well.

Thanks for your suggestions

Rick

Whonose

Post by Whonose » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:09 pm

I started to get this "jumping" extruder issue on mine too.
It would fail to extrude each time it "banged" and I spent a lot of time lookin at the issue yesterday and solved it on mine..

I found that if I pushed the filament into the extruder whilst it was printing (with a lot of pressure) it would do it a lot less ( still did it a bit though)
so the issue is that the filament is not going through fast enough..

so...
1) the temp is too low and
2) because I needed to push it , then the motor is too weak.
3) as I said, it is try to exrude too fast

So the fix, as it stands now...
1) temp to 205 -210
2) adjusted the voltage to the extruder motor to 1 volt (ir was 0.8) - (this was easier than I thought it would be!) to give it more "push"
3) adjusted the "speed" in repetier to around "70" - I don't know what that is in mm3 /sec..

Step 3 I did whilst I was printing a 2x2 cube and brought it down until there was no "bonking" noise when it was extruding the "filler" ( the fastest bit)

I could get it faster by bringing the temp UP and the speed UP but I found that the filament dried too slowly and tended to "sag" when bridging.

I managed to print a 100% PERFECT 2x2 test cube (well no gaps in the extrusion) last night and then printed a perfect z wobble fixing plate

I hope this helps you too

ricky007

Post by ricky007 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:43 pm

Okay,
Well, in reply to "Whonose" what I did was to use some of the Blue filament that came with the printer and whatd'yrknow? It worked, went back to the red filament that I bought a reel of from Geeetech supplier with my printer and it started jumping and missing layers again!

Very perplexing. it now looks like I bought a load of parts for nothing.
I'm going to experiment a bit more this weekend if my wife doesn't complain too much.
I have some wood like filament to try.

I went through temperature changes from 180 to 220 and still had jumping of the extruder motor.

Martin L.

Post by Martin L. » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:06 pm

hello together, it does not always have something broken. This is a very complex system and also in DIY. You can set a lot of parameters that complicates the thing. In addition, many of the network existing print templates are not optimal and you have to adjust the slicer for each template.

http://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopic ... 19&t=17097

1. Did you calibrate all your steps per millimeter ?! also from the extruder?
For instructions see Youtube.
2. Which slicer do you use?
3. Post a picture of the speeds you have in the slicer
4. Did you measure the real diameter of the filament and set it in the slicer?
5. How are your temperatures bed and from the nozzle?
6. Do you have wrapping? If so, then no filament can follow because your nozzle is blocked.
7. I was also frustrated. Now I'm working on adapting the Bear extruder to the i3 Pro b.
8. the bed must always be calibrated correctly before each print.
9. It brings nothing more filament to want to push if it is blocked below.
10. Try out which nozzle teperatur you can press your filament with the best through the nozzle. It has to feel like a spoon in honey
start with 190 and stop at 260

It's not too frustrating to say it's a Diy printer with many options. You will be very happy if it works someday.
Here you can see how it has improved with me.
before https://youtu.be/iY3m_WzooBE

and after some adjustments https://youtu.be/YDdYju0Ds4A

Look in the net for a Slicer config for the I3 Pro b so I started and it ran first. I have take this config 0,3 PLA https://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18536

After a few updates on the printer, things got better and better. We are talking about layers between 0.1 and 0.3mm, as it is enough to block the Z-wobble around the nozzle. or the wobble of the sheet metal x attachment.

ricky007

Post by ricky007 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:55 am

Hi all,

Well, thought I'd update on different issues I've experienced!

Things I have tried :-

0.4 Nozzle
different filaments
extruder motor steps, (calibrated to fairly precise, 100mm of movement for 100mm expected, wound down to 80% to stop over extruding when printing a benchy) back to correctly calibrated
different slicer
reloaded the firmware

Problems encountered are :-
missing/interrupted layers
infill walls totally missing, (yet shown in slicer model)
infill showing spotted extrusion all through the layers
printing a curve on the bottom of a gear tooth when all the others are flat

I have changed the extruder motor now but need to test thoroughly.

I'm thankful for your contributions but it seems that I am chasing ghosts here.

With the new motor all seemed good, (not unusual for me it seems as each change seemed to resolve the situation until a couple more prints are done)

However, started a new print and it seems as if some code goes missing? by this I mean that on the present model there is a bore at the end of a torsion spring that has the internal walls for about 4mm of height then they stop. So the infill carries on as do the outer walls. As this boss is approx. 8mm in height its a real pain.

When I check with the slicer all the walls are present and correct, it's just that the extruder doesn't output filament

I was going to upload an image but can't work out how to.
Put it on Flickr so my wife has a picture of it for which she is truly grateful! Not!

ve even tried the "Recommended" setup in Cura.
Still battling

Thanks again for your assistance, please keep trying
IMG_3912.JPG
IMG_3912.JPG (215.13 KiB) Viewed 10702 times
Rick

ricky007

Post by ricky007 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:00 am

Oooh! I did manga to!

The image also shows that to the right of the boss it's missed layers on the outer wall of the spring.
And a previous attempt at this print I had problems with the internal walls of the middle square hole, the walls were just as if it was printing an in fill wall.