extruder clicking, filament not feeding properly

Rbrks329

extruder clicking, filament not feeding properly

Post by Rbrks329 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:13 pm

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsS5zgdczjMehmooYs7VR-XurC-R

Im having this problem where the filament will not feed properly, resulting in under extrusion and failed prints. Ive noticed a loud thumping/ clicking sound which coincides with this. Ive had a look and the little cog in the extruder isn't running smoothly. Ive taken it apart, but nothing looks clogged. Can anybody help?

moorebrm

Re: extruder clicking, filament not feeding properly

Post by moorebrm » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:39 pm

Check your Teflon lining in the print head, If it is burnt or too long it shrinks on the filament when hot and causes it to jam.
If the teflon lining is burnt replace it (I have drilled them out a little to ease the problem) - make sure the lining is not too long it must be level with the 8mm stainless throat.
I never had much luck with the mk8 so I moved to a bowden j head and a duel gear drive extruder.
(trianglelab Drivegear kit dual drive gear extruder kit Cloned Btech upgrade for Prusa i3 3d printer gear Mini Bowden Extruder )
The extruder above is bowden but they also do direct to j head.
The duel gear drive unit fixed all my extruder issues it pushes plastic with serious force and with a minimum of chewing.

jzero42

Post by jzero42 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:42 pm

I had this issue when the nozzle was clogged.

Or when I accidentally set the wrong diameter or temperature (Geeetech I3 comes with a 0.3mm nozzle), you can also try to raise the temperature a bit.

LittleTrader

Post by LittleTrader » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:45 pm

My printer clicks when its going too quickly, 40mm/s seems to be my "max" speed to deliver a great print and produce no "clicking noises".

StanSPP

Post by StanSPP » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:23 am

LittleTrader wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:45 pm
My printer clicks when its going too quickly, 40mm/s seems to be my "max" speed to deliver a great print and produce no "clicking noises".
Hi, where did you change the max speed value? I’m using RepetierHost with Slic3r and I’ve still not got my head around where the settings are pulled from and which take are used in the final G-code! 😳

StanSPP

Post by StanSPP » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:06 pm

Check you have the right settings for your slic3r. I upgraded my Silc3r from the default version that came with Repetier-Host and it didn't keep the original config, so I had to download them from the link in this thread https://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18536 and reimport them in my Slic3r.

Speaking from experience it will make a huge difference if you have the 0.4 settings on a 0.3 nozzle, even if you manually change the nozzle diameter in the Slic3r config all the max extruder speeds will be wrong.

You should also try calibrating your extruder E-value. I'm getting good results from mine now but you can read about my woes here ... https://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopi ... 66&t=62276

Stick with it ... you will figure it out :)