printing parts for model railway

kaestnerw

printing parts for model railway

Post by kaestnerw » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:33 pm

haltestangen.jpg
haltestangen.jpg (15.62 KiB) Viewed 4257 times
Hello
I have some experience in printing housings für electric circuits und other parts, but I also want to print parts for model railway. one Part are handles on locomotives. f.e. see attachment.
Are there any adivces, expierience how to do this ?
thanks
kaestnerw

kaestnerw

Re: printing parts for model railway

Post by kaestnerw » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:59 pm

in Addition the problems I found since now:
the diameter of the handles should be 0.6 mm and the holders should be circular.
the primary question is who did already somthing like this, which material to use, which equipment (diameter of the nozzle, heating ..)
thanks for advice

Soadyheid

Re: printing parts for model railway

Post by Soadyheid » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:05 pm

To print something with a .6mm diameter when the nozzle on the i3 Pro B is .3mm is pretty much impossible. You're also working at too fine a resolution to get anything meaningful as a print. From the i3 Pro B spec I've got: Layer resolution: 0.1-0.3mm, Positioning precision: 0.1 - 0.3mm, Hmmm... Not going to happen. :(

If your print is for the handles on the side of model steam locomotives I'd be inclined to make something out of copper wire.

For larger items, you can design them yourself using a CAD program like FreeCAD which you can use to make parametric models. It's taken me a while to get used to it but adjusting and modifying the models is easy. Export your model to an STL file, slice it and create a GCode file with the slicer, then print!
Half the fun of 3D printing is being able to create your own stuff!

Play Bonny!

Soadyheid.