Am I the only one who has had this series of problems with their I3?

nschreiber0813

Am I the only one who has had this series of problems with their I3?

Post by nschreiber0813 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:55 pm

Dear Geeetech and Geeetech users,

I have had a long series of problems with my pro b 3D printer. I have written numerous documentation on what I had gone through on numerous blogs, forums, and YouTube. You can find majority of the information here.

https://nschreiber0813.blogspot.com/201 ... made.html

Now when I first finished assembling my Geeeetech Pro B I had followed the instruction manual and more instructions since I didn't know how to build this 3D printer nor did I honestly know how to use repetier host and cura. I got a few prints done before a catastrophe had happened but what ended up happening was 1 day after the printer had been built close to around 20 minutes later of usage, the motherboard that was supplied by geeetech immediately failed resulting in the MCU being fried. All I did was tune one of the motor drivers and it literally exploded and caught on fire the MCU did. On top of that once when I had fixed that by buying a new ramps 1.4 motherboard the extruder mount to the X carriage had failed. It had melted do to lack of cooling from the fan on the extruder.

Then I made a new extruder mount out of MDF wood and a nema 17 bracket that was made of metal. Because I was having so many problems at the time with the MK8 extruder I eventually switched to a e3d hotend and direct drive extruder because the hotend would always get clogged and was generating a lot of heat to the nema 17 motor.

I had numerous problems with the threaded rods and mechanics of the frame of the 3D printer as well. I ended up switching to linear rods because those rods were actually meant for 3D printing unlike what came with the kit. I also laser cut brackets to beef up the frame and to keep it square. Not only that I bolted the whole thing to a piece of wood as well to keep it rigid and percise as before.

I have had little to no problems after I spent around 200 dollars plus 350 to purchase the kit and to upgrade it after spending numerous years working on it. I wasn't sure at points if it would ever get printing.

I have a few questions. I am wondering if this might have all been self inflicted for whatever reason. I have never heard of someone having this many problems with geeetech printers and I was wondering if I might have been the only one. Thanks!

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Re: Am I the only one who has had this series of problems with their I3?

Post by _kaktus_ » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:08 pm

Hi
:mrgreen:

Your story doesn't fill with happiness. :?

It was sad and expensive. :roll:

I own another model of the DIY I3 series, and I know that these are demanding designs. Especially for a newcomer to the topic that I was just after the purchase.
I also have friends from this forum and each of us had some failures. But nobody, but nobody had such a big series of failures. It's terrible what happened to you.
:cry:

I greet you cordially and wish you much happiness. ;)
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

nschreiber0813

Post by nschreiber0813 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:06 am

Thanks for those kind words. Same to you.

jzero42

Post by jzero42 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:03 pm

I bought the same model from Geeetech in 2018 and I think they improved on many things.
X carriage and extruder mount is now metallic, board is GT2560. Packaging is great.
Only problem is instructions haven't been updated (or i didn't find the updated).

I did replace a stepper driver and extruder stepper motor, but maybe it was also my fault. It didn't cost more than 10-20 usd. Also i bought some new linear ball bearings.