Adding cooling

martinyazz

Adding cooling

Post by martinyazz » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:05 pm

Hi
I have assembled my i3 pro b printer and it is working fine apart from I now need to add a cooling fan to the hot end.
I have 2 spare 3 pin fan slots available on the 2560 board. Fan 2 and PWM fan.
Which is the best one to use and how do you control it in the Repetier host program. I am using the Cura slicer but can’t see any settings referring to cooling.
It is my understanding that the pwm slot uses a control wire to adjust the fan speed. Is this right? The fans I am looking at all seem to have two wires so is this enough to control fan speed or is it just a matter of having it on or off.
Many thanks

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Re: Adding cooling

Post by _kaktus_ » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:48 pm

Hi
:mrgreen:

I'll explain to you in a descriptive way what this is all about.
We can arrange to explain that PWM control consists in interrupting the power supply circuit of the fan.
So, in principle, two cables are needed. Fans with three hoses provide information about their rotational speed in addition to the system. ;)

In my favourite section of the forum I described in detail the fan connectors.
Although the description refers to a different model, it can provide you with a lot of information if you are interested in this topic.
Look in the subforum about M201 for my information about fans.
:D
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

martinyazz

Post by martinyazz » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:48 pm

Thanks for the reply kaktus

It seems that Geeetech are telling porkies about their PWM fan output because as far as I can see PWM fans have 4 pin headers. +v 0v tach and the speed control via a square wave timer to control power at a constant 12v unless I am missing the point.

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:10 pm

Hi
:mrgreen:

You know what would be best if I asked you to photograph the fan with wires, and the sockets where you want to connect it.
;)
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

winkste

Post by winkste » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:18 am

Hi.

I used this cooling design: https://www.thingiverse.com/make:505698
I connected it first to one of the static fan outputs, because I couldn‘t find the correct settings in repetier and slicer3. When I switchted to cura and OctoPrint, I found the fan settings for the pwm fan under cooling, now I can switch on/off the fan within gcode including pwm setting for the speed. Hope that helps.