Z axes issues (noise and shake), print head issues (leakage) and Y axes issues

Zeeno

Z axes issues (noise and shake), print head issues (leakage) and Y axes issues

Post by Zeeno » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:42 pm

Hello all,

Sorry for the super long post. Just wanting to be as detailed as I can. Pictures can be supplyed on request

So I recently got a Geeetech i3 Pro B kit and after a few hours of building I finally got it all together. Set it up on the side, looked up everything I could to do with the software, firmware and any little tweaks and tips and as far as I am aware set it all up correctly.

First played around with the auto home and moving the axes. Right away as soon as the Z axes started moving it squealed and crunched with every movement. I checked both sides were the exact same height, I checked all screw were fully in, checked everything I could and make it all perfect. Tried moving it up a few mm and it was quite then suddenly boom back to squeaking. Then when it has stopped rotating the motors were just shaking and jittering (Very loud).

I used Cura to slice and then print out a test cube with a few layers of skirt and set it off. First issue I got was the hot end thermostat kept going to 0 and so had to fiddle with the wires until I got them to a angle just right that it stayed showing the correct temp.

Next issue I found was that whenever it started printing the print head would go around 15mm higher then the print bed (which obviously wasn't great). Checked the G-Code on Cura and found there was something setting the Z axes to 15 so changed it to 0 and that seems to of fixed that issue but when using things like Repeater or anything else it does the same thing where it moves the Z height and then makes it not print properly.

Last thing (for now), when I tried printing the cube, I noticed it was printing it as more of a rectangle and seems the Y axes wasn't actually moving enough to make it the same length on every side. It might be that the step motor is set wrong but I haven't changed any of those settings so :?:

TL;DR: I am new to 3D printing and it seems that everything is going wrong. Not sure if it is personal error or the bits I got are wrong.
Regards,

Zeeno

Gingko
Site Admin

Re: Z axes issues (noise and shake), print head issues (leakage) and Y axes issues

Post by Gingko » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi,

1, For the Z-axis, you can check if the thread rod bend or not; check the driver voltage.
Please follow this post: http://geeetech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=60931

2, Sometimes thermistor doesn't display correctly? You can use clips to hold them, make sure that the cables aren't curved too much.

3, Send M851 to check that if the printer has set up z offset value, if yes, you can send M851 Z0 to correct it.

4, The step/mm of X-axis and Y-axis should be the same, the default value is 80.
Check it through LCD->CONTROL->STEPMM.

Zeeno

Re: Z axes issues (noise and shake), print head issues (leakage) and Y axes issues

Post by Zeeno » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:43 am

Hello,

So the Z axis was having issues due to the stepper board. That has now been swapped and is working a lot better. The Thermistor is just very temperamental (no pun intended) but have found a position that is working so far.

I am going to test playing around with the steps/mm the next few days and see if I am able to get things just right.
Regards,

Zeeno