Genuine E3D upgrade - WOW :-)

JustinSB

Genuine E3D upgrade - WOW :-)

Post by JustinSB » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:03 pm

Having struggled with my Geeetech Pro W for over three months now, I finally resolved to fix all of my extruder & hotend problems in one fell swoop. I went all "Big Chief Hand in Wallet" & bought myself a Genuine E3D Titan Extruder & Genuine E3D Lite6 Hotend. I used the Geeetech Stepper Motor cable from the old extruder, solder spliced some 6" eBay JST plug cables onto the E3D fan & thermistor cables, & did the couple of Marlin tweaks.

I plugged it in, fired it up, & it just worked. First time. Straight out of the box. No messing, no swearing, no headaches, & no blood, sweat & tears.

You can feel the quality. The design is fabulous. It looks sleek, & shiny, & sexy. Plus, of course, it does exactly what its supposed to do, first time. I've been struggling since the beginning of December last year with my Pro W. I wish that I'd done this before Christmas. The 3:1 geared extruder is outstanding. Amazing. Fabulous. I'm just totally gobsmacked at just how good it is.

I watched a YouTube video by Thomas Sanladerer, & he said that if you're already up to your ears in troubleshooting your printer, buy original extruders/hotends, as they just work - & trying to troubleshoot cheap'n'nasty clone hotends or extruders is a nightmare you don't need. Thank you Thomas, as your advice just dug me out of a great big hole.

Now that I have a fully working Extruder & Hotend, I can design & print all of the brackets, mounts, boxes & bearings that I have needed for so long to properly fix &/or upgrade my printer. I've already got a nice set of Lead Screws running my Z-axis, so just X & Y to go...

Having done this, I would put a genuine geared extruder as Number One in the list of compulsory upgrades, or at least first equal in combination with a matching genuine hotend. Second place, of course, goes to lead screws for the Z-axis, & third goes to replacing every stock Geeetech bearing.

William
Site Admin

Re: Genuine E3D upgrade - WOW :-)

Post by William » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:07 pm

You are right to do this, and I am sorry to have troubled you because of quality problems.
I'm sorry I'm not a salesperson. If I'm a salesperson, I'll immediately send you a good quality part :oops:
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

JohnDeere630

Post by JohnDeere630 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:15 am

I had to replace the extruder and power supply on my I3 Aluminum first thing when I got it. I also replaced the crappy z-axis screws with T8's I haven't had any issues with the stock bearings. The stock z-axis system with the wobbly, off-center threaded rods is just awful, and the stock extruder was a piece of plastic crap which now resides at the bottom of the land-fill. But for what I paid for the printer, I can't really complain. I've done a ton of upgrades, and now have a turn-key ABS and Polycarbonate printer.

JustinSB

Post by JustinSB » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:41 am

Thanks William. You & Charly Pan have been amazing, & are both a credit to Geeetech.

mauledbylion

Post by mauledbylion » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:39 pm

I'm thinking about following the same path, what were the Marlin tweaks you made?
Thanks.