cleaning the Z smooth and threaded rods

jeanrv

cleaning the Z smooth and threaded rods

Post by jeanrv » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:19 pm

Hi guys

I am yet another newbie.. I have successfully built the Geeetech Prusa i3 Pro B, printed the levelling bracket installed the 3DTouch sensor and now getting relatively well experienced in finding my way around both hardware and firmware (apart from a most unsuccessful attempt at installing lead screws). My problem is one of cleaning the (primarily) Z smooth and threaded rods. I have over time lubricated them with silicon grease, but they do seem to collect dirt and that pauses problems. I know I can clean them with alcohol, spirit, WD40 et al, however it is the method of application which is stomping me. It is not unusual for cloth to shed thread fragments etc.. also should the cleaning be dealt with while the rods are in motion, or still? in short how do YOU guys deal with the problem? or is it just me who has it? :o Anyway thanks in advance as I know your advice will prove priceless.

Jean V :?

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Re: cleaning the Z smooth and threaded rods

Post by _kaktus_ » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:55 pm

Hi
:mrgreen:

I don't use silicone oils, as you wrote they are not good because they catch dust.

I use professional solutions from large CNC machines.
This is GlideWay PL 68.

So I don't have such problems.
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

jeanrv

Re: cleaning the Z smooth and threaded rods

Post by jeanrv » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:24 pm

hi _kaktus_

thanks for the tip, yeah silicon grease is proving a nightmare

Best regards
Jean