USB cable burning

talex

USB cable burning

Post by talex » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:15 am

Hi,

I have the same problem. USB cable gets hot in a few seconds. I tried installing drivers manually. I tried unsoldering F2 as suggested, same issue.
LCD menu works but trying manual control only moves one axis. Reading around I tried connecting the other motors to that axis and it looks like motors are fine. I also tried moving the drivers around and it seems like only 1 of the 4 motor drivers actually work.

So far it's really disappointing :(

William
Site Admin

Re: USB cable burning when printer is powered on

Post by William » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:59 am

talex wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:15 am
Hi,

I have the same problem. USB cable gets hot in a few seconds. I tried installing drivers manually. I tried unsoldering F2 as suggested, same issue.
LCD menu works but trying manual control only moves one axis. Reading around I tried connecting the other motors to that axis and it looks like motors are fine. I also tried moving the drivers around and it seems like only 1 of the 4 motor drivers actually work.

So far it's really disappointing :(
Hi, If you mean only swapping the motor wires but not calling the wires on the motherboard;
Prove that this is happening due to broken motor wires, you can replace the motor wires;

If the position of the motor cable on the motherboard is exchanged, it proves that there is a problem with the port on the motherboard; the motherboard needs to be replaced.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

talex

Post by talex » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:14 pm

Hi,

I've swapped the motor driver around and it seems the control board is OK, but only one of the driver boards works and only in one direction.
The slot I put the driver in is the only one that moves. So I assume 3/4 of the motor drivers (the red boards) are faulty. How do I get them replaced?

And what about the control board USB problem?

When I connect the printer to the computer VIA USB, the USB cable started heating up very quickly. I went over the forums and other resources and I have tried:
- Removing the F2 0ohm resistor => still heats up
- Reconnected F2 and connected the board directly to the computer without anything attached to it => I get "device descriptor request failed". I also have some Arduino Nano that also use the CH340 that the GT board uses and those work perfectly fine on the same USB port.
- Tried different USB ports (2.0, 3.0) different cables, same error with everything I try
- With USB 2.0 nothing lights up on the board
- With 3.0 the 2 diodes in the corner D6 and D16 (or whichever is next to it) and ON led next to F2 are green. The Orange L flashes 2 times then stays off.

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:05 pm

Hello.
:mrgreen:

It's sad what happened to you.

Do you have any other power supply that could be connected in exchange for the original one?

The computer and the printer must be connected to the same electrical outlet.
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

talex

Re: USB cable burning

Post by talex » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:33 pm

I have a PC PSU... I can hook up 2 12V lines but even without a power supply, shouldn't windows see the board at least?
And if the 12V PSU and 5V USB circuits aren't isolated, how would a different power supply fix anything?

Lastly, what about the faulty A4988 Motor Drivers? Even if I manage to power it up It's still useless :(

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Re: USB cable burning

Post by _kaktus_ » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:09 pm

Hi. :mrgreen:

A PC power supply is a good alternative. Do you know how to make it start?

Another power supply unit will be used as an element for diagnostics.
You can trust it because you know it is working.

The controller board (I don't know which version you have) had an automatic switching mechanism for 5V power supply.
In my opinion it caused problems for users who are not experts in electronics. I have no confidence in him. 8-)

If you analyze the circuit diagram you will track it.

You are also asking about stepstick modules.
A lot of problems can be the reason for weak or insufficient electrical contacts in the socket. Pay attention to the position of the knobs of the adjustable mounting resistors.

For some time, the PCB electronics assembly was so poor quality that it was a problem.
Some components (sockets) were mounted incorrectly, there were many cold solders. :roll: This created many problems for customers, especially the inexperienced, and severely affected the company's reputation.

You may also find that when you use your power supply everything will work properly. ;)

Please pay special attention to how the motor sockets are mounted. How the wires in the motor cables are connected.

I understand that you shouldn't deal with such matters because you bought a finished product and it's supposed to work ...
However, in view of the above, you need to check all the components step by step.

However, on the other hand, you will know the exact construction of the printer, nothing will surprise you in the future.

Personally, I wish you perseverance, and I firmly believe that you will solve all your problems. :D
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.