Very very loud PSU

wize1

Very very loud PSU

Post by wize1 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:36 pm

Hi guys,

I just got my printer yesterday, this is my first printer and I have one major issues with it, besides Z-axis collaboration and Y-motor overheat, it is extremely loud power supply. I'm not sure, if everyone has same issue, but i really doubt it... Because its loud, its 3 times louder then printer itself, I can hear 3 rooms away.

Its unbearable to be in same room as printer, because of how loud that PSU is. :( :( :(

Any thoughts on this? Is it normal? Is there some i can do fix it?

Lexan

Re: Very very loud PSU

Post by Lexan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:38 am

it helps to turn the fan about 180° to make it blow to the inside.
also remove the grid infront of the fan from the aluminium.
you wont get it silent with these steps, but its the cheapest way to get a bit more compfort.
if you still not happy with it i would suggest buy a 60x60x15 sunon fan and be happy not to hear the psu anymore

DrPop

Post by DrPop » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:14 am

Is the Y motor the one in the back? Mine is WAY hotter than the other motors. I wondered about that. Is it supposed to be like this? My fans are extremely loud when I first turn it on, (sound like they are failing even though they are brand new), but then quiet down some as they spin for several minutes. I'll try that trick mentioned about flipping it 180 degrees as well and see if that helps.

p_rhodan

Post by p_rhodan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:38 pm

To fix the issue with the hot stepper motors, you need to adjust the Vref (Volt reference setting) on the stepper motor drivers on the mainboard.
This is very important!
Please follow this instruction: http://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopic ... 17&t=17038

DrPop

Post by DrPop » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:27 pm

Thanks for that advice! I searched for a Youtube on it and came up with Peter Homer's video on adjusting the hot stepper motor voltage. I'll tear into it a bit now and see if I can fix it.

wize1

Post by wize1 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:54 pm

Hi guys,

After investigating I modded my PSU and let me share solution and results..

OK... so here is 2 solutions to this problem:

Solution 1: is to install thermostat that is missing on PSU board...

unfortunately I forgot to take picture, but there is jumper right next to fan connector, you need solder it out and replace it with normally open thermostat for 45 degrees Celsius... the thermostat itself you needs to be glued inside inductor coil with thermo glue silicone compound.

Thermostat I used:
https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/2017-KSD ... 33edhKEOI9

Thermoglue I used:
https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/10g-Ther ... 33edhKEOI9

That will give add fan control to your PSU fan and will be on only when you get hight current and in your could and it will heat up upto 45 degrees. Which is almost never.

Solution 2:
Much simpler is to just install quitter and less hardcore fan like I use DEEPCOOL XFAN 60mm.
if you worried it will be too weak, you can install another one like that one on other side of the PSU case, it is thin enough (I didnt do that).

That solution for modding current PSU, the other solutions would be to use ether some PC PSU or use some fanless MeanWell PSU.

Now about my results after mod ... So I got rid of noise in PSU and thought now my I life will be happy, just to find extremely irritating pitch tone coming from PMW Fan on board.... It is really horrible sound... So when you turn your printer, that FAN is set to 50%, and it makes that annoying sound, if you set to 100% you don't hear it anymore. Still looking for way on how I can fix this correctly...

I hope this information helps someone.

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:41 pm

Hi.
:mrgreen:

A very interesting solution. My congratulations.

In a similar way I muted my lab power supply. :D

If you are irritated by the squeal of the PWM-controlled fan, add an electrolytic capacitor of appropriate value.
I described it in the section about my printer.
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

wize1

Post by wize1 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:40 pm

Hey kaktus,

thanks for your feedback.
can you please give me link to thread you talking about? You have lots of posts, I can't find it :?

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:51 pm

Hi.
:D

Voila:
kaktus' guide - fans part 2 - improvement of extruder fan working

It is worth to use a capacitor with a larger capacity. But the speed control range is then reduced. ;)
Attention must be paid to polarity.
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

wize1

Post by wize1 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:15 pm

Thanks, kaktus...

But that solution didn't really worked for me as caps smoothes pwm signal i basically get fan fully turned on...