Horrible print-quality (waves in surface)

MrFranke

Horrible print-quality (waves in surface)

Post by MrFranke » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:35 am

Hey Everybody,

I'm new to this printer and test it for some weeks now. It is working, but i have big problem with something like "waves" in the front and back surface. I've done some pictures to show my problem.

https://imgur.com/a/F2HtY6O

Things i changed since I received it:

-Turn down stepper voltage to 0.7V
-Addes some aluminium profiles for z-axis
-do firmware update to newest version

Lexan

Re: Horrible print-quality (waves in surface)

Post by Lexan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:49 am

thats a z wobble, contact your seller to get nice z axe leadscrews

DrPop

Post by DrPop » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:12 am

I have the same problem, but even worse looking! Have been fighting with this A30 since the beginning, major pain. I think in my case it's coming from the temperature of the hot end being all over the place during the print. Do a fairly lengthy print and watch the little touch screen on your A30 and see if the numbers vary on the hot end temp.

For me, the base plate temp is constant - within a degree or two of where I set it. During a print, I might see 20 or more degree of range of temps at the nozzle. I'm not sure if it's a hot end problem or a controller problem or what, but this thing has put out pretty bad quality since day one, unfortunately. I've tried four different brands of filament, including Geeetech's own, both PLA and ABS.

The "Z wobble" could be from bent screws they gave us or something, but it can also be from the varying temps, because the expansion and contraction of the plastic will do that during a print. Anyone have a good fix for this?

p_rhodan

Post by p_rhodan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:10 am

This has to do with wrong PID settings for the hotend. Badly the A30 firmware do not support PID auto tune. You can only set it manually with the smartto-motor tools (https://github.com/Geeetech3D/Smartto-T ... plications).
Btw. with this tool you can also tune the Extruder steps and calibrate the steps/mm for X / Y / Z.

Information about PID, what is it, how you can change it manually:
http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?t=11440

essex_chris

Post by essex_chris » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:24 pm

p_rhodan wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:10 am
This has to do with wrong PID settings for the hotend. Badly the A30 firmware do not support PID auto tune. You can only set it manually with the smartto-motor tools (https://github.com/Geeetech3D/Smartto-T ... plications).
Btw. with this tool you can also tune the Extruder steps and calibrate the steps/mm for X / Y / Z.

Information about PID, what is it, how you can change it manually:
http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?t=11440
Any tips on this? I am trying to calibrate my extruder as it consistently pushes only 85% of what it's supposed to but nothing i change in Smatto seems to make any difference? :?:

TheG

Post by TheG » Wed May 15, 2019 2:17 pm

Hi all!

I believe I have the same issue with my new A30, large "Waves" along one axis, and finer ripple on the z-axis. I've checked the rods, made sure both are the same distance of the bed and that the bed is leveled correctly. I also checked the belts of the x- and y-axis. They seemed VERY tight so I've loosened them slightly to be more along the tightness my A10 has on those belts.

Interestingly, a test-print in the middle of the bed of a 10cm high 1x1cm square shows perfect alignment and no wobbles in any direction at all... However, print four of those pillars in the corners of the bed causes the described above issues. I feel that would point away from the PID approach as a thermal issue would be independent from the print position, no?

Suggestions are most welcome! :)

TheG

Post by TheG » Wed May 29, 2019 2:42 pm

As stated in a different thread, it appears the issue is with bed temperature. With higher temperature setting for the bed (for me it was 65°C), the stronger the ripple effect. Probably has to do with power issues when the bed is running a heat cycle to reach the configured temperature again.

Printing with the bed only at 50°C did significantly improve my print as the ripple amplitude went from millimeters to centimeters. I currently assume that printing at 40-45°C bed temperature will maybe mostly get rid of the issue. To confirm, I'll do test prints later, including on a "cold" bed. If that comes out without any ripple and other displacement effects, we'll have a direct hit on the issue and can work on a solution, like functioning PID default settings for the A30.