Auto-leveling

macray76

Auto-leveling

Post by macray76 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:44 am

Hi.

I've bought the NPN capacitive proximity sensor for auto-leveling and followed what seems to be the only instruction video out there specific to the A30 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7XE--p6lSQ).

I've finally managed to get the auto-leveling process working at the start of the print (so that the nozzle doesn't bang into the print bed) but when it starts to print the z-axis is too high so it starts to print in mid-air.

These are the exact steps I've done:
1. Homed the nozzle
2. Select Control -> Leveling -> auto level -> Nozzle
3. Adjusted the z-axis height on the screen so that there is a little friction with a sheet of paper
4. Adjusted the z offset to be the z-axis level (as shown on screen) +2.5mm (as recommended in the video - my proximity sensor is about 2.5mm from the print bed)
5. Clicked OK on the screen
6. Backed out and then repeated steps 2 to 5.
7. The print starts to auto-level and when completed it goes to the centre but the z-axis does not move down.

I've tried different z offsets but that is just guess work and I've alread had it start printing when the nozzle is hitting the print bed (leaving a nasty scratch mark now).

I just can't believe there isn't some simple step-by-step written instructions.

This is the test gcode I received:
M107
M190 S50 ; set bed temperature
M104 S200 ; set temperature
G28 ;Home
G1 Z15.0 F6000 ;Move the platform down 15mm
;Prime the extruder
M106 S110
G92 E0
G1 F200 E3
G92 E0
M109 S200 ; wait for temperature to be reached
G21 ; set units to millimeters
G90 ; use absolute coordinates
M82 ; use absolute distances for extrusion
G92 E0
G1 Z0.300 F6000.000
G1 E-3.00000 F2400.00000
G92 E0
G1 X137.323 Y141.463 F6000.000
G1 E3.00000 F2400.00000

Any help greatly appreciated.

Gingko
Site Admin

Re: Auto-leveling

Post by Gingko » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:49 pm

Try to follow steps from this new video again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsWYTnQzaI4
:)

macray76

Post by macray76 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:19 am

Thanks for the updated video.

I have two questions that I'm still confused about:
1. You haven't pre-heated the print bed before calibration but I have been told by my supplier to do that?
2. Your nozzle does another level test in the centre of the print bed just before it starts printing and my printer doesn't do that. Is that essential and if so how can I make it do that?

macray76

Post by macray76 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:26 am

1. You haven't pre-heated the print bed before calibration but I have been told by my supplier to do that?
2. Your nozzle does another level test in the centre of the print bed just before it starts printing and my printer doesn't do that. Is that essential and if so how can I make it do that?

Alienmoon

Post by Alienmoon » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:55 am

macray76 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:19 am

GEEETech, really should be making videos in spoken English, given that a vast majority of their customers are from the Western World.
I have this printer and Sensor myself and not I've watched this video, it is a little different to the other video.

The other left me with questions and to be honest, so does this one,... When I've sussed this out, I'll make an English spoken version, I think.

P.S
Let me know if you got it working satisfactorily, I'll be keen to hear if you ended up doing something a little different than the video.

Good Luck.
I Want To Believe

Gingko
Site Admin

Post by Gingko » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:37 pm

macray76 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:26 am

1, I think it's not necessary to heat up the bed before calibration, like any other printer of Geeetech.
2, It's probably related to the new version of firmware which is not released yet. It can still achieve auto leveling theoretically, and we should appropriately manual level before calibration.

macray76

Post by macray76 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:50 am

1. I definitely see a difference in the z height if I first manually level when bed is off and then re-level when the bed has been heated to 60 degrees for 5 minutes (which I think is expected given thermal expansion). I've now taken the approach to always preheat bed for 5 mins before I do anything.

2. I've been informed that new firmware should resolve two issues of the NPN sensor. First is the auto levelling and the second is the resuming of a print causes it to not return the z axis to the correct level (resuming works fine when in manual level mode)

For now I've gone back to manual levelling and enjoying some stress free printing!

Suggy

Post by Suggy » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:45 pm

Alienmoon wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:55 am
macray76 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:19 am

GEEETech, really should be making videos in spoken English, given that a vast majority of their customers are from the Western World.
I have this printer and Sensor myself and not I've watched this video, it is a little different to the other video.

The other left me with questions and to be honest, so does this one,... When I've sussed this out, I'll make an English spoken version, I think.

P.S
Let me know if you got it working satisfactorily, I'll be keen to hear if you ended up doing something a little different than the video.

Good Luck.
Have you managed to get it working? did you make a video?

Alienmoon

Post by Alienmoon » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:01 am

Suggy wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:45 pm

Have you managed to get it working? did you make a video?

Nah, It's still attached to my Printer, but,... I've not had another go now for weeks, If I level the bed first, It never seems to give me a satisfying level in the centre of the print-bed.

Then, I went and bought the little Wi-Fi module, I seem to have it connected to my phone, but,... the Printer control Box will NOT Un-Gray the Wi-Fi button for me to press.

another wasted £15 for the Wi-Fi wasted.

Did you happen to have it connected and working correctly for yourself?

Please, if you have, I could do with the calibration after it's attached,... how did you fine-tune it to give you a levelling result you were happy with?.

Thanks.
I Want To Believe

macray76

Post by macray76 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:48 pm

I've finally come to the conclusion that there is definitely something wrong with my A30 printer and the auto-levelling functionality.

I am now running the latest firmware now (1.39.62) and despite hours of testing the accuracy of the levelling is awful.

I pre-heat both the bed (50 degrees) and nozzle (200 degrees) before I auto-level because these are the conditions that will be present at the start of the print. When I don't pre-heat the symptoms are worse.

I adjust as per the auto levelling instructions (running the calibration twice). Often when it then comes to print the nozzle is too far or too close to the heat bed (I'd say a good 1mm too high or it starts scratching the heat bed).

I don't think it is the sensor but I suspect it is something to do with the Z axis not going up and down at the same step rate (so after auto-levelling calibration the z offset is about -3.4 and I can only think that, for example when it comes to printing it is thinking it is at -3.4 but in reality it is at -3.2 (too high) or 3.0 (too low) for example).

Even if I get a perfect first level out of it and complete a print, if I print another item straight afterwards (ensuring both the bed and nozzle remain at their printing temperatures), the first level will be off again (too high or, worst still, too low).

My lovely superplate looks a complete mess with all the scratches.

I have less issues with the manual levelling.

Anyone else had any success with it and if so, can you kindly share your steps please?