LCD2004 blanks out from time to time

rotormansa

LCD2004 blanks out from time to time

Post by rotormansa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:48 am

I'm really quite new to the printer and 3D printing, but I am an Electrical Engineer the technical aspects of this machine isn't beyond my capabilities.

I purchased the Geeetech I3 Pro B and after a bit of an issue trying to locate the correct assembly instructions, the machine is built. The machine as a few issues and I'll go into one of the more annoying problems on this post (look for additional posts in other areas of this forum group.

On power up the LCD works fine, the controller card is the GT2560 and the display is the LCD 2004. All 'works' ok. From time to time the display goes out and won't come back on unless you cycle power or press the reset button. This seems to not depend on the USB interface, so you can have OR don't have a computer connected to the printer. It will sometimes work fine for hours and other times it will go blank. The printer still functions when the LCD blanks out. I haven't tried the software interface on the PC but I assume that works to, just the display goes out. Is this a known undocumented feature (aka bug) with the design??

I have the latest firmware installed.

Rotormansa

William
Site Admin

Re: LCD2004 blanks out from time to time

Post by William » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:12 pm

you can replace a new LCD 2004 and have a try. :)
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

rotormansa

Post by rotormansa » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:54 pm

I don't believe it's a 'hardware' issue but rather software... this forum site doesn't seem to be monitored by anyone at geeetech... not sure it was the best sourcing supplier for my needs. Will think that over in the future and purchase from a respectable supplier... one that does provide good post sales support, especially so on a machine that is only 6 days old.

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:17 pm

have you printed with SD card ?if the LCD diaplays well with SD card but not with the computer,then maybe the data transform problem.you can re-upload the i3 pro B firmware from this forum. ;)

rotormansa

Post by rotormansa » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:32 pm

The blanking is quite intermittent, the display will function perfectly for hours then it will go blank usually when the pc sends some command to the display (but not all the time). In my opinion it's a firmware issue. I have the most recent version of firmware loaded. It's my belief the firmware hasn't been thoroughly 'tested', but what do you expect from an open source project rather than a product?

rotormansa

Post by rotormansa » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:43 am

Found the source of the issue. The extruder motor cable is faulty and from time to time would have an open on one of the leads. When the driver issued current to move the extruder motor apparently not having an electrical load (the motor winding) caused the cable to radiate and interfere with the display. I've repaired the extruder cable and the display never exhibits the bad behavior.

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:37 pm

Pleasure to hear you have solved your problems. :D