LCD Graphic Smart controller problem.

regpye

LCD Graphic Smart controller problem.

Post by regpye » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:48 pm

I have purchased five LCD Graphic Smart Controllers and am having a problem with them all (same problem)
At the same time I purchased five RAMPS boards to use with them.
I have setup the RAMPS boards and am having a problem with them also, so it may be related.
The RAMPS boards I am not able to home in the Y axis, all other functions are working fine (except for one that the X limit stop will not work on the board). I am able to do everything except home in the Y axis.
With the LCD Graphic Controllers I am able to see the info screen and all the data from the machine. The temperatures are showing, the tool location is showing, the SD card is showing.
I am having difficulty getting the controller to open the second menu screen, and when it does eventually open I can scroll up and down the four items, but not select any (except returning back to the info screen) If I select any item and press the button the info screen displays.
What am I doing wrong? Surely all five controllers cannot be faulty.

I still have one RAMPS board to test yet, but I know that one so far has a fault with the X axis. I have checked by putting a switch directly across the pins for the X axis and with the switch open or closed the board remains open at all times on the connection.

I was going to purchase another five RAMPS boards today, but until I have these issues sorted out I will wait as I don't want to find I have more problems.

regpye

Re: LCD Graphic Smart controller problem.

Post by regpye » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:27 pm

I contacted a friend overseas and he sent me his configuration of Marlin.
After making a few changes to the configuration.h file I uploaded a new firmware setting.
I now have the LCD working properly, :D however I still have the same problem with the Y homing not working. :roll:
Everything else is working fine (except for one RAMPS board that doesn't work on the X homing (same wiring, same config, RAMPS board is faulty)

regpye

Post by regpye » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:02 pm

After receiving some later software and re-programming the io board, I now have the LCD working fine. :D

regpye

Post by regpye » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:54 pm

I have managed to get the RAMPS boards going.
I downloaded another version of Marlin and that seemed to fix the problem.
One of the LCD Graphic Controllers has a problem, everything works except it will not read an SD card. Shows a message "No Card"
The SD card works in the other four LCD Graphic Controllers without any problem.
I tried changing the cables from one of the other controllers to check if the problem may be with the cables, but no, the same problem, so there is a fault on that board.

richard

Post by richard » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:01 am

Is your endstop working?
and yourYour wire connection is done?

sfraden

Post by sfraden » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:48 am

I am having the EXACT same issue. (Only with the controller I bought, not your ramps y axis issue)

I have a Ardunio atmega + Ramps 1.4. The unit works and prints very well. I just added your Geeetech full graphic controller and made the change in Marlin to accommodate it. I get the info screen and its showing all the relavent data as it changes, however using the click encoder only results on a really annoying beep and no menus. Just flashes the info screen. I found that if I twist the knob while clicking it, I can randomly get into the menu, however the menu itself is unresponsive and does nothing except go back to the info screen. Second issue is when I insert a SD card, the info screen shows card inserted, but when I play with the knob to get to the second menu, it says no card inserted.

I believe that this does work, however there seems to be a lack of setup in Marlin, beyond merely uncommenting one line to enable the display. Something is not right. Any ideas before I return this unit and get a different brand?

regpye

Post by regpye » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:28 pm

Part of the problem has been fixed.
I re-installed the Marlin software and have four of the LCD Graphic controllers working perfectly.
One of them has a problem, it will work and show everything, except it will not read an SD card.
It shows SD card inserted, but when trying to access the card it shows "No Card"
I have tested the card on the other LCD controllers and there is no problem.
I have changed the cables using cables from one of the LCD controllers that is working OK.
This particular LCD controller has a problem and doesn't work correctly.

jack

Post by jack » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:52 am

First of all, you check the cable is good, then look at the 74 hc40ic have good welding, the last check sd card slots for welding is good

regpye

Post by regpye » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:14 pm

jack wrote:First of all, you check the cable is good, then look at the 74 hc40ic have good welding, the last check sd card slots for welding is good
I have checked all the solder joints on both the SD card socket and the chip, all appears to be good.
I have changed the cables from another LCD controller that is working OK (I bought five of them) but even with the good cable the board still has the same problem.
I have also change the controller on a machine that I know is working fine, just to check that the software install may be the problem. The problem board will not work properly with this known good installation.
The problem definitely is with this particular board.

regpye

Post by regpye » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:18 pm

richard wrote:Is your endstop working?
and yourYour wire connection is done?
The X endstop on this particular board is not working at all.
I found that the problem is a short on the RAMPS board between the signal and ground pins for the X axis stop.
I checked all the connections and found only this shorted pair of pins, all the other stops are working fine.
After looking at the board underneath and also inspection the board on top, not visable short can be seen, but pitting an ohm meter across the pins shows it very clearly.