SD Card Config Issue in 1.1.8 and 1.1.9 Marlin builds

macca448

SD Card Config Issue in 1.1.8 and 1.1.9 Marlin builds

Post by macca448 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:10 am

After chasing my tail over the last few days trying to get my firmware updated and stable I thought I document a trap I fell into

The issue: Loading an SD card while in REPETIER would lock up the printer and only a power cycle would sort it. Also printing off the SD card would result in "Y" axis increments after about 90 minutes of printing.

The Fix: In their infinite wisdom in "Configuration_adv.h" they have "SD_DETECT_INVERTED" enabled. In my case commenting this out fixed the issue

William
Site Admin

Re: SD Card Config Issue in 1.1.8 and 1.1.9 Marlin builds

Post by William » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:33 am

:D Can you describe it in detail?
thanks for your share.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

macca448

Post by macca448 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:35 am

OK let me try a more detailed description of what I discovered with these two builds of Marlin.

I needed to upgrade to the newer Marlin so I could implement the passive filament sensor as the Geeetech release build doesn't have a way to invert the logic to make it work.

I transferred the core settings in Configeration.h from 1.0.2 to 1.1.9 and enabled the filament sensor, tested and all worked as it should.

I printed a few small parts to check that things were OK and it seemed it was so then proceeded to print a part that was going to take about 3 hours. I usually print direct from Repetier on print's up to 4 1/2 hours and from the SD card on longer prints.

After about 90 minutes the printer just stopped dead! In the console readout of Repetier the last line was in RED and gave a communications error. Trying to reset the printer and there was no connection, I tried the LCD2004 reset button and nothing so I rebooted.
Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (1.77 MiB) Viewed 5147 times

I thought I'd try printing from the SD card instead and what I got was after about the same amount of time the "Y" axis started to creep forward so instead of having a vertical edge to the part it would be stepped forward. I thought maybe I was unlucky and tried again but at the same time it started to step forward again.

Untitled1.png
Untitled1.png (488.1 KiB) Viewed 5147 times

Then I discovered that if you had an SD card inserted to the printer or inserted it while in Repetier the printer would lock up completely and you had to power cycle to clear it and remove the SD card. I then figured that It was some sort of issue with the SD controller went back to Marlin 1.0.2 and all worked fine again.

As there is only one setting of note in the Configuration.h file of 1.1.8 & 9 being the enable function. I did lots of searching for answers but nothing and decided to check the PINS config and then I went line by line through Configuration_adv.h and found the line

Code: Select all

SD_DETECT_INVERTED
was enabled and was suspicious so I commented it out, tested and all seemed fine, The SD would load and read in Repetier and no communications lockout so problem solved.

Right now I'm 14 hours into an 18 hour print and everything is working perfect. I have done a few tweaks to the code but what I have uploaded in a previous post is a good starting point for any of the i3 GT2560 Rev A+ clones

Hope this is what you were after??

Cheers
Ralph

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:07 am

:D Thanks for your share.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!