Why i'll NEVER buy GEEEtech or Open source product again

draconisdraco

Why i'll NEVER buy GEEEtech or Open source product again

Post by draconisdraco » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:01 am

I've been involved with open source projects for years - and one this is ALWAYS true - the "product" is always, without a doubt half baked and unfinished, relying on conjecture, heresay, bloody poor documentation and un-managed distributions of software that are riddled with bugs.

Geeetech are no different to the farce of "free access" hardware and software.

The G2s I recently purchased has been on my bench now for two MONTHS. Yes. Two. And it's ALL down to crap firmware.

Arduino 1.01 as a compiler for insanely old firmware from Marlin... REALLY??? it's Feb 2018 and Marlin are on a version that is about 5 versions and bug fixes ABOVE what geeetech "recommend". The probing doesn't work ( no shock, there) the calibration of the rod lengths are out of date, the bed dia...out of date...delta settings ..out of date....

And the dual extrusion - DOESN'T WORK - especially if you want to use E3d or other packages that don't like configuring offsets dynamically as opposed to using the firmware. In fairness - the offset thing is again down to the open source bilge that is Marlin, which assumes, even though the FW is defined as a DELTA that the 1st extruder will be at 0,0 (like a cartesian)... which on a twin ext delta it won't be.

Flintlocke

Re: Why i'll NEVER buy GEEEtech or Open source product again

Post by Flintlocke » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:08 pm

draconisdraco wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:01 am
I've been involved with open source projects for years - and one this is ALWAYS true - the "product" is always, without a doubt half baked and unfinished, relying on conjecture, heresay, bloody poor documentation and un-managed distributions of software that are riddled with bugs.

Geeetech are no different to the farce of "free access" hardware and software.

The G2s I recently purchased has been on my bench now for two MONTHS. Yes. Two. And it's ALL down to crap firmware.

Arduino 1.01 as a compiler for insanely old firmware from Marlin... REALLY??? it's Feb 2018 and Marlin are on a version that is about 5 versions and bug fixes ABOVE what geeetech "recommend". The probing doesn't work ( no shock, there) the calibration of the rod lengths are out of date, the bed dia...out of date...delta settings ..out of date....

And the dual extrusion - DOESN'T WORK - especially if you want to use E3d or other packages that don't like configuring offsets dynamically as opposed to using the firmware. In fairness - the offset thing is again down to the open source bilge that is Marlin, which assumes, even though the FW is defined as a DELTA that the 1st extruder will be at 0,0 (like a cartesian)... which on a twin ext delta it won't be.
Kind of a necro post but... your G2s should have the GT2560, that can be flashed by the newest Arduino IDE and supports the latest Marlin 1.1 RC8.
Do you need a hand configuring the new firmware for your printer?