Aluminum X3 Printer - Extruder does not reach set temp

DAT

Aluminum X3 Printer - Extruder does not reach set temp

Post by DAT » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:22 am

Just finished putting together the aluminum X3 and have it working reasonably well, my only issue right now is the extruder does not come up to temp (about 5-7 deg below). No matter what temp is set it doesn't reach it, I can fool it by manually increasing the temp on the control panel till it is over the required temp them switch back to the program. As it cools down through the required temp it starts printing and continues even the the temp falls below the set temp.

I have tried increasing the extruder temperature offset in the printer configuration in Reptier Host as suggested by Geeetech support, but it does not seem to make a difference and I cannot spot any changes to the g-code !!

Any Ideas ??
Thanks

Mark

Re: Aluminum X3 Printer - Extruder does not reach set temp

Post by Mark » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:58 pm

is your PSU output stable? is it 12V?

DAT

Post by DAT » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:40 pm

Fixed - It turns that the 110V/220V switch inside the power supply case was set to the wrong voltage, once the correct voltage selected the output was 12V and the printer had no trouble reaching the selected temperatures .... Thanks Eric

Stunzasr20

Post by Stunzasr20 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:10 am

Hi Mark
I have a similar problem.
Context: I have Prusa I3A Sanguinololu , setup with Repitier Host. I live in Australia so 220V is the mains voltage and I have ensured that the PSU switch is set to 220V. I have checked voltage output at the PSU between both the V+ and both COM terminals, when the printer is at "idle", and i have read 11.8V in all 4 cases. I would also like to note i have not printed anything at this point and am still solving the setup. I only appear to reach 90 Degrees (aim is 200 Deg C) for the extruder. I also would like to note that the MK2a heatbed only is reaching 45/90 degrees.
So i am just wondering if you can offer any suggestions on what might be causing such a problem. I only mention the heatbed as maybe this tells you more about the whole picture but the immediate issue is that I can not extrude any material, even manually in Repitier Host.
Hopefully that gives context of the problem but if any more information is required i will provide it as necessary
Regards
Shaun

DAT

Post by DAT » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:57 pm

Hello Shaun

There is a small potentiometer next to the output terminals on the PSU which you can adjust. It doesn't have a great range but should bring up the voltage to 12v. Wether this will solve your problem I don't know, but you can try it. The other thing I would check Re the heater wires properly secured in the terminal blocks on the control board, you might want to check the voltage at those screws on the blocks.

Stunzasr20

Post by Stunzasr20 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:05 am

Hi
I adjusted output voltage to be 12.04V , issue still remains.
I checked voltage at the board terminal and it was 12.04V. I also checked continuity at the wires between the board and the extruder. I also checked voltage at the wires as they enter the heating element and found12.04V on one wire and 11.89V on the other wire.
Could the extruder be faulty? Or could it be something in the firmware (I recently uploaded the latest version , about 2 months ago). Any ideas appreciated as I have been trying to get this printer up and running for the last 3 months and no success as of yet
Regards
Shaun

DAT

Post by DAT » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:01 am

Hi Shaun,

Have you tried measuring the voltage at the extruder terminals on the board when it reaches the maximum temperature ? Is the board still outputting the voltage for heating or not ? That I think would give you an idea wether it's a hardware or firmware issue. How is the bed temperature, does that reach set temp?

I never changed the firmware on mine, only modified setting through the control panel.

Regards