Extruder not working

fontanares
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:14 am

Re: Extruder not working

Post by fontanares » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:34 pm

Hello William,

Yes i´ve tried all the solutions.

Yesterday, i bought a A4988 new driver and i put it in the extruder1 motor driver place but the extruder it´s not working yet.

I think is possible a problem with the Marlin configuration or the board is damaged...

I look in the Marlin´s place (http://www.marlinfw.org) but I have not found anything about " extruder_runout " which is the class that defines the actions of the extruder

But i still haven't found what i'm looking for... ;-)

User avatar
William
Site Admin
Posts: 6338
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:38 am

Re: Extruder not working

Post by William » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:57 pm

fontanares wrote:Hello William,

Yes i´ve tried all the solutions.

Yesterday, i bought a A4988 new driver and i put it in the extruder1 motor driver place but the extruder it´s not working yet.

I think is possible a problem with the Marlin configuration or the board is damaged...

I look in the Marlin´s place (http://www.marlinfw.org) but I have not found anything about " extruder_runout " which is the class that defines the actions of the extruder

But i still haven't found what i'm looking for... ;-)
Hi,
1.So was the extruder temp enough?
2.Did you measure the volts of your new driver between the screw and GND?
3.I guess your word "extruder not working" mean the extruder1 motor didn't rotate,am i right?
4.If the volt is right,did you check the motor wire and the motor itself on extruder1?
5.Can you extrude the filament in extruder1 successfully by your hand?
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

fontanares
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:14 am

Re: Extruder not working

Post by fontanares » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:55 pm

Hello,

1-The hotend (extruder) temp was 275ºC.
2-Yes, i did mesure the volts of the new driver: 0.865v.
3-You're right. The extrusor motor doesn't rotate. I put a point in the motor axis, in the opposite side of the fan to see if motor rotates but it doesn't. I removed the pipe from the extrusor (that drives the filament) and i didn't see any filament progress.
4-Yes. I checked the wires and i took a L392D driver and an Arduino one and i check the extruder 1 motor (and 2).
5-I didn't. I think if the extruder motor don't rotate it doesn't worry me that the filament extruders correctly. I tried until 285ºC.

User avatar
William
Site Admin
Posts: 6338
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:38 am

Re: Extruder not working

Post by William » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:12 pm

fontanares wrote:Hello,

1-The hotend (extruder) temp was 275ºC.
2-Yes, i did mesure the volts of the new driver: 0.865v.
3-You're right. The extrusor motor doesn't rotate. I put a point in the motor axis, in the opposite side of the fan to see if motor rotates but it doesn't. I removed the pipe from the extrusor (that drives the filament) and i didn't see any filament progress.
4-Yes. I checked the wires and i took a L392D driver and an Arduino one and i check the extruder 1 motor (and 2).
5-I didn't. I think if the extruder motor don't rotate it doesn't worry me that the filament extruders correctly. I tried until 285ºC.
From what you've listed,i get the info that the wires and the two extruder motors work fine when you test them,but don't work when they're plugged in the sockets where they were on the board?
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

fontanares
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:14 am

Re: Extruder not working

Post by fontanares » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:59 pm

Yes, William

User avatar
William
Site Admin
Posts: 6338
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:38 am

Re: Extruder not working

Post by William » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:45 am

fontanares wrote:Yes, William
I guess something wrong with your board.You can contact your seller.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

Jpriest81
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:32 pm

Re: Extruder not working

Post by Jpriest81 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:42 pm

William Kwok wrote:
Jpriest81 wrote:Hi guys

my problem is similar to those listed but with slight differences. My Pro B started to under extrude in a small part of prints so i took the extruder apart to clean the teeth, seeing no improvement i re wrote the firmware and now the stepper motor for the extruder will not run continuously. It stutters now one step forward then one step back regardless of the direction i tell it to move in. I have tested the motor itself and it displays no fault. Please help with my next step i have run out of ideas.

Kind thanks
Jpriest
Hi,
Did you upload the right firmware from the official site?
You can take down the fan on extruder to observe the movement when you send a "extrude" command.From "forward then one step back",sounds like it is a clogging...Have you used an ejector?Some more questions:
1.Have you measured the extruder driver's voltage or swapped the driver with another axis?
2.How about extruding by hand now?Did it extrude normally?
Thanks for your fast reply William.

I have downloaded the drivers from this exact site http://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopic ... 10&t=17046
i have also removed the fan from the extruder so as to view the action of the motor and even with no filament loaded the same back forward movement pattern is observed.
having checked your numbered questions
1. I don't have a meter to measure the voltage right now however, having swapped the motor with the x axis the motor then operates normally.
2. I hope i am correct in thinking that 'extruding by hand' means bringing the hot end up to temperature and feeding the filament through the extruder, if this is correct then it extrudes by hand perfectly with no flow speed or consistency issues.

thanks again for your help

User avatar
William
Site Admin
Posts: 6338
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:38 am

Re: Extruder not working

Post by William » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:28 pm

Jpriest81 wrote:
William Kwok wrote:
Jpriest81 wrote:Hi guys

my problem is similar to those listed but with slight differences. My Pro B started to under extrude in a small part of prints so i took the extruder apart to clean the teeth, seeing no improvement i re wrote the firmware and now the stepper motor for the extruder will not run continuously. It stutters now one step forward then one step back regardless of the direction i tell it to move in. I have tested the motor itself and it displays no fault. Please help with my next step i have run out of ideas.

Kind thanks
Jpriest
Hi,
Did you upload the right firmware from the official site?
You can take down the fan on extruder to observe the movement when you send a "extrude" command.From "forward then one step back",sounds like it is a clogging...Have you used an ejector?Some more questions:
1.Have you measured the extruder driver's voltage or swapped the driver with another axis?
2.How about extruding by hand now?Did it extrude normally?
Thanks for your fast reply William.

I have downloaded the drivers from this exact site http://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopic ... 10&t=17046
i have also removed the fan from the extruder so as to view the action of the motor and even with no filament loaded the same back forward movement pattern is observed.
having checked your numbered questions
1. I don't have a meter to measure the voltage right now however, having swapped the motor with the x axis the motor then operates normally.
2. I hope i am correct in thinking that 'extruding by hand' means bringing the hot end up to temperature and feeding the filament through the extruder, if this is correct then it extrudes by hand perfectly with no flow speed or consistency issues.

thanks again for your help
So can we say the driver voltage of extruder is not sufficient?
1.After your swapping,extruder motor works normally,but did the extruder driver work fine on X motor?
If it didn't,you can rotate the screw on A4988 to adjust the voltage if you had a multimeter(but you said you didn't) or replace it if you had a spare one.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

Jpriest81
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:32 pm

Re: Extruder not working

Post by Jpriest81 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:01 am

Thanks again William for your prompt and detailed reply it has been an enormous help.

fontanares
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:14 am

Re: Extruder not working

Post by fontanares » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:08 pm

Ok.

Thank you William!

Post Reply