* SOLVED * Huge problem with GT2560 board

hawth725

Re: * SOLVED * Huge problem with GT2560 board

Post by hawth725 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:08 pm

jfotopoulos wrote:Solved it was the USB driver worked with this one:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM21224_Setup.zip
I'm glad you've found the software problem and made it work. Congrats. But I thought you already did that before, deleting the old driver and refresh it with a new one. Anyways, you did it!!

jfotopoulos

Post by jfotopoulos » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:46 pm

hawth725 wrote:
I'm glad you've found the software problem and made it work. Congrats. But I thought you already did that before, deleting the old driver and refresh it with a new one. Anyways, you did it!!
Yes I did that 20 times...but the driver was ok recognising the board(so I thought it was ok) but couldn't connect! With this driver everything is OK.
Now I have to calibrate the printer...any tips? (specially the Z axis I get the PLA not sticking to the glass)
cheers thanks again

hawth725

Post by hawth725 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 am

jfotopoulos wrote:
hawth725 wrote:
Yes I did that 20 times...but the driver was ok recognising the board(so I thought it was ok) but couldn't connect! With this driver everything is OK.
Now I have to calibrate the printer...any tips? (specially the Z axis I get the PLA not sticking to the glass)
cheers thanks again
Do you have heated bed? If so check if your temp set to a min of 60 deg. You can use your slicer program to set that temp. Second, make sure you properly calibrated your bed with the nozzle tip. Third, you should have painters tape on top of the bed to have proper adhesion on the first layer of your print.

bang

Post by bang » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:44 am

My problem is also solved according to your method,thank you for sharing your experience. :D

hawth725

Post by hawth725 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:51 am

bang wrote:My problem is also solved according to your method,thank you for sharing your experience. :D
It's good to hear that It did helped you. ;)

petrus_muc

Post by petrus_muc » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:49 am

Hi All,

I too had a lot of (self-inflicted) trouble with this board ! :twisted:
I wanted (had to) change some firmware settings (e.g. steps/mm) and play it back to the board. Nothing worked and when forcefully flashing the bootloader the board was dead ! :o
I tried to flash a new bootloader but no methode would work.
Board (according to print on the board) is a GT2560 Rev. A model.
After much googling and headscratching I had a suspicion, which turned right:
The board is advertised as having a Mega 2560 processor.
Seemingly some boards (with identical markings) have a Mega 1280 on them !!!
So it helps to avoid a lot of worrying if one reads the processor type before digging too deep into the "...whats' wrong with it..." -bag ! :mrgreen:
Unfortunately I did that the other way round ! :oops:

I hope that helps other people to avoid this lousy mistake.

hawth725

Post by hawth725 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:20 am

The marking 2560 Rev A indicates that the board was designed based on the Mega2560 architecture. But not actually controlled by the AtMega2560 processor. Your guide would be the processor. If the processor used was AtMega1280, that's the info you have to use in the Arduino software as PROCESSOR. While the board model would be AtMega2560 or MEGA2560.

Also, use the Arduino 1.0.4 along with the new USB driver, and use the ARDUINO AS ISP. Those info are under the TOOLS option of the Arduino software.

Check out the steps I gave to J earlier and you should be good. Good luck and let me know if I can assist of something.

edautz

Post by edautz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:59 pm

Hallo all,

Bought the same printer last week, and ordered several parts to modify it for improving the quality and stability.

I got also a 2560 board with a AMTEL1280 AVR on it.

I want also unlock the EEPROM function, install a bowden extruder and install an 3D Touch sendor for automatic bed leveling.

Therefort I have to modify my firmware. Prontface is working with this printer with a baud rate of 250000 and reports (debug log) that Marlin 1.0.0 is installed.

I have several questions:

1: Do I have to burn the boadloader to update the firmware of this printer? If so, how to do that?
2: Wich baudrate do I have to use to program this board with arduino IDE?
3: Which version of Marlin is running stable and supports the 1280 AvR with support for 3Dtouch, EEPROM and is compatible with CTC Prusa I3 Pro B clone?
4: Is there an example config.h file available for this type of printer?

Kind regards,

Edautz

petrus_muc

Post by petrus_muc » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:36 pm

Hi edautz,

I have the same machine (and board) and was fighting with the same problems !

To answer your questions:
1. For this board: yes (normally not) This board has no bootloader and so you cannot update through USB.
2. There is no setting for baudrate in Arduino IDE. Either detected automatically or forced to a speed known by both board and IDE. Don't worry about that.
3. You can use any version you like but always have the size of the compiled program in mind, Mega 1280 has 128k space only. No full graphic display possibe due to program size. To make program smaller you can e.g. comment out EEPROM_CHITCHAT
4. I have attached a sample config.h for you to look with all your requested features activated. Verify your version of Marlin in Arduino IDE and set board to Mega2560 processor, then you can see the final program size without a compile error if too big for 1280.

Good luck !

Peter
Attachments
Configuration.zip
(11.71 KiB) Downloaded 598 times

edautz

Post by edautz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:11 pm

Hi Peter,

Thanks for fast respons. Some things are still unclear for me. See inline.

1. For this board: yes (normally not) This board has no bootloader and so you cannot update through USB.
If this board has no bootloader and I cannot update through USB, how to update the firmware then? Normally a Amtel AVR needs a bootloader to accept arduino C++ code. I am very confused about how to perform on this?
2. There is no setting for baudrate in Arduino IDE. Either detected automatically or forced to a speed known by both board and IDE. Don't worry about that.
OK.
3. You can use any version you like but always have the size of the compiled program in mind, Mega 1280 has 128k space only. No full graphic display possibe due to program size. To make program smaller you can e.g. comment out EEPROM_CHITCHAT.
What about Marlin-RCBugfix_0423e93-PI3_Pro_B_3DTouch? Is this a good version? Do you got it running?
4. I have attached a sample config.h for you to look with all your requested features activated. Verify your version of Marlin in Arduino IDE and set board to Mega2560 processor, then you can see the final program size without a compile error if too big for 1280.
Don't you mean set the processor to Atmega1280? Because the board contains a 1280 AVR?

Kind regards,

Edautz