Geeetech GT2560 A+ with NEMA 34 Stepper Motor?

KBrown

Geeetech GT2560 A+ with NEMA 34 Stepper Motor?

Post by KBrown » Wed May 09, 2018 5:48 am

Hello,
I am new to Geeetech. I have a GT2560 A+ board and want to control a single screw driven Z-axis with an already installed 34D-9209A Stepper (motor by Rapidsyn). This is a large vertical beam with a heavy platform that is raised and lowered by a screw attached to the motor in question. The platform is only for the extruders. X and Y axes are at bed level.

I do not know if I can use this motor with this board. Is this possible? Do I need and external driver? If so which one will work? (I can get power from a power supply.) How would I wire it to the GT2500?

This is for a custom 3D printer. All other motors will be standard Nema 17. I plan to have 2 extruders if possible.

Motor specs:
Model: 34D-9209A
Voltage: 2.5VDC
Insulation: B
Current: 4.6A

Thanks in advance!

A_Camera

Re: Geeetech GT2560 A+ with NEMA 34 Stepper Motor?

Post by A_Camera » Wed May 09, 2018 7:54 pm

Hi,

That motor is very powerful and you definitely need a different driver, not only that, but also a different power supply. You should use as high voltage and current as possible, for NEM34 you should have not less than 50V, otherwise you will not get any speed and if the driver can't handle the current then you will not get any torque. DM556 is a suitable driver.

Yes, it is possible to connect that driver (or any other driver) to the GT2560 but you need to connect the signals right. Remove the original driver and just wire the GND, STEP, DIR and EN signals to the new driver, connect the new motor PSU to the driver and that's it. Of course, the NEMA34 must be connected as well, and of course, micro stepping is set on the new driver, not the GT2560. Very simple job.