Help with stepper motor

Mastermars

Help with stepper motor

Post by Mastermars » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:53 am

Hello all could really use some help

so i have just purchased my first 3D printer a geeetech prusa i3 pro b, what a nightmare !

building it was the easy part then....

the power supply blow up when i turned it on, it was set to 220 and wired correctly i check like 4 times and then another 4 times after it went Bang, seems a small glass fuse in the bottom or the psu blow out. ordered a new one off ebay, and this time it worked fine, i had power !

Printer started to move, well try and move anyway, the threaded rods on the Z axes were so bent it was having real problems, so of i go the Bunning to get a much better rod, installed it and it worked fine ... well so i thought.....

all the motors move in the right direction on the Auto home, but when the Z axes comes back down and hits the endstop it stops as it should but the stepper motors on the right is making a banning sound, the motor is not move just making a noise. can anyone help ?

thanks
Sean

William
Site Admin

Re: Help with stepper motor

Post by William » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:08 pm

Oh my god!This seems a terrible experience.
1.Maybe you should ensure the level of right and left is same.
2.You need to test the voltage of A4988(Z-axis) on the mainboard, normal is 0.8-1.2v.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

Mastermars

Post by Mastermars » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:24 pm

Hi William,

Both motors are at the same height and work fine until it hits the end stop

If I swap the two cables of the motors over the problem seems to be with the same motor not the port.

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:06 am

Maybe you should uploading firmware again at first.
1.You can try to dismantle the X-axis and then via the LCD controller let the Z-axis rotate to see if it still buzzes.
2.If it does not make a buzzing noise, you can raise the Z-axis to about half the max height of Z-axis, then send AUTO HOME and trigger ENDSTOP when it starts to fall. Watch if the right motor still buzzes.

Mastermars

Post by Mastermars » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:42 am

ok so after a long time playing i have found out the following, i removed the two stepper motors from the printer and just sat them on my desk with no load, butthe problem is still there , if i just run one the motor it works fine, i tested both motors in both ports ans they seem fine, its when both are connected the problem starts any movement on the Z axes when both are connected cause them the vibrates/ thud, and when the motor stops it gets worse.

i have updated the firmware and checked all the voltage.

any ideas?

Mastermars

Post by Mastermars » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:13 am

I found the problem, I switched the stepper motor driver boards around and the problem moved with the board, i have ordered some new drivers.

Thanks for all your help, it’s shocking how much extra I have sprang on the printer, new rods, new PSu and now new driver boards, would geeetech refund anything ?

Cheers

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:35 am

Thank you for your feedback.You should contact related seller, please feedback your trouble to them and you will get a reliable solution. :D