3D Touch Sensor:Auto-levelling for Geeetech 3D printer

rsreed

Re: 3D Touch Sensor:Auto-levelling for Geeetech 3D printer

Post by rsreed » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:41 pm

OK, arduino newb here!

I have done the wiring and mounting but have not connected anything to the board yet as I'm stuck editing the firmware. So far I have opened the configuration.h and made all of the changes in the instruction manual. All good. But now I have come to the pins.h part.

The instructions say that if I do not have a pins.h tab, then open it separately. So in Arduino, I click open and navigate to the Marlin folder and find pins.h file and select it and then click open but it just opens another copy of marlin.ino. Is there some sequence that I'm missing?

Update: I don't know if this is a acceptable solution, but I opened the header file pin.h in Notepad++ and edited it there. Seems to work!
Acrylic Prusa I3 Pro B MK8

UndCon

Post by UndCon » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:09 pm

Editing pins.h in any texteditor is OK.

When done, open Arduino ID again, compile the project and upload to your board.

cosmith

Post by cosmith » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:59 pm

For posterity, after you load pins.h, you have to go over to the little down arrow on the row of tabs on the far right side of the screen. Click on it and it and scroll down until you find pins.h.

rsreed

Post by rsreed » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:05 am

For posterity, after you load pins.h, you have to go over to the little down arrow on the row of tabs on the far right side of the screen. Click on it and it and scroll down until you find pins.h.
Yea, I figured out what that little arrow was for, but pins.h still does not show up as a tab. Using Arduino 1.0.6 so maybe that is why it's not showing up?
Editing pins.h in any texteditor is OK.

When done, open Arduino ID again, compile the project and upload to your board.
Editing the text directly must have worked since everything seems to be working as far as motion and testing. But since I made a different mount on the back side of the carriage, I have to tweak my offsets a bit. I've got it now so that it will home correctly with G28. And then when I send the G29 it measures the 4 points I've defined.

The only thing I don't understand yet however is that when it finishes the G29 command, it is in the back left corner. However, Repetier shows the coordinates as 0, -.01, -1.0 and the LCD display shows the coordinates as 0, 0, 0.

UndCon

Post by UndCon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:33 am

Hi!

I think you can configure the rear corner in Repetier as well - look under printer settings

cosmith

Post by cosmith » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:03 am

Yea, I figured out what that little arrow was for, but pins.h still does not show up as a tab. Using Arduino 1.0.6 so maybe that is why it's not showing up?
You have to load it first then go look for it under the arrow. Or just edit with Notepad++. :D
The only thing I don't understand yet however is that when it finishes the G29 command, it is in the back left corner. However, Repetier shows the coordinates as 0, -.01, -1.0 and the LCD display shows the coordinates as 0, 0, 0.
It should be at the last point measured. I'm not sure about why it reads 0,0,0 but mine does the same thing so I'm guessing that's normal behavior.

--Colin

rsreed

Post by rsreed » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:57 am

You have to load it first
So is there a special method other than "open" then navigate to the Marlin folder and selecting pins.h and then clicking "open"? Cause every time I do that, it just opens marlin.ino.
It should be at the last point measured. I'm not sure about why it reads 0,0,0 but mine does the same thing so I'm guessing that's normal behavior.
Thanks. It's good to know that I haven't strayed off of the path too far. I won't have time tonight, but I'll try an actual print tomorrow. to see if it's close to the center of the bed.

cosmith

Post by cosmith » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:15 am

When you load pins.h, it will open Marlin.ino. You then have to go to the down arrow on the right side of the screen in the tabs, click on it, then scroll down to pins.h. It's not very intuitive.

rsreed

Post by rsreed » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:46 am

When you load pins.h, it will open Marlin.ino. You then have to go to the down arrow on the right side of the screen in the tabs, click on it, then scroll down to pins.h. It's not very intuitive.
After seeing this, I thought to myself that maybe it was the Arduino version i was using. I was on ver. 1.0.6 and just updated to the latest ver. 1.8.1. Now the list that pops up has an arrow at the bottom to see more header files and I can scroll all the way down and see pins.h.

In ver. 1.0.6 I could only see down to language_it.h since there was no arrow!

Dppp

Post by Dppp » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:24 am

I have now used 3D Touch sensor ~ 2 months and it is still working fine. I had one issue with sensor that it was going into error mode after start, but I got it working again by adjusting pin height and putting some teflon tape into pin adjustment screw (thread).

Btw, does anyone know, that is there some fan duct / shroud design, which will work at same time with original 3D-touch holder?